Travelling with a child? In London, all BMW 1 Series, MINI Clubman and MINI 5 door vehicles come with an approved backless booster seat which is kept in the boot of the car. You can pop the boot once you’ve unlocked the car. To find a BMW 1 Series, MINI Clubman or MINI 5 door easily, just used the car filter in the DriveNow app. All our booster seats are padded and specially shaped to be comfortable, even on longer journeys. In February 2017, updated car seat laws stopping younger children using backless booster seats came into effect. If parents are caught travelling with their child in the car without the correct seat requirements for their age, height and weight, they could face a £500 fine. How will this affect my trips with DriveNow? It won’t. The new law states that if you continue to use current backless booster seats, you won’t face any action, as the legislation only applies to the labelling of new seats on sale from manufacturers. A few points to note:
- Children weighing 15kg-36kg can sit in a booster seat using a seat belt.
- For children under 15kg, you will need to provide your own appropriate car seat when renting a DriveNow.
- Your child must use a car seat or booster seat until they’re 12 years old or 135 centimetres tall, whichever comes first.
- Once they’re over 12 years old, or more than 135cm tall, they must then wear a seatbelt.
- If a booster seat is being used in the front seat, the front airbag must be disabled. Therefore, it is highly recommended by DriveNow that when you drive in our cars with a child in a booster seat, that they sit in the back of the car.
If the booster seat is missing from a DriveNow car, please call our Customer Service team through the app. For UK car seat regulations, please visit the UK government website.