DriveNow is one of the most convenient and flexible ways of getting around but we know parking in London can sometimes be an issue. So we’ve introduced Handshake – DriveNow cars can easily be handed over to the next driver at the end of your rental, so you don’t need to look for a parking bay. Find out how Handshake works below. If you're the current driver:
- In the DriveNow app, find and reserve your car, enter your destination and select ‘Offer car at destination’ (Handshake).
- The car screen will notify you as soon as another person has accepted to take over the car at your destination.
- Once you reach your destination, stop the engine and – if the next driver is there – select Hand Over in the app.
- Your rental ends once the next driver has selected Take Over in the app and the exchange has been successful.
If you're the next driver:
- The app will show if a car is available with Handshake and will mark its current location with an arrow icon. Select the car and you’ll be able to see the driver's estimated time of arrival.
- Reserve the car and the driver's final destination will be marked on the app with a flag. You’ll be able to follow the car's arrival with the moving arrow icon.
- Found the driver of the car you've reserved? Wait until they’ve selected Hand Over, then choose Take over in the app. The Handshake is now complete!
- Jump in and make yourself comfortable. Your rental begins – as usual – as soon as you enter your PIN.
Some important information to know:
- Handshake will only be an option if the destination entered is in the DriveNow Zone, excluding London City Airport.
- Rental end for the current driver and transfer of liability occurs once the next driver selects Take Over in the app and the exchange is confirmed in the app.
- The next driver doesn’t start paying until they have started their rental after entering their PIN.
- The next driver should still check the vehicle for damages before starting the rental and contact our customer service team if there are any.
- If the car is Handshake reserved but the current driver ends the rental, the next driver will have a standard free 15 minute reservation on the car afterwards (only if the car is dropped within a radius of 300m around expected destination).
- If the next driver cancels or doesn’t show up, the current driver will need to search for parking at his/her destination.
- If the driver cancels the route guidance and thus, Handshake, the next driver is informed and can look for another car.